Philippines' Samantha Bernardo crowned Miss Grand International 2020 1st Runner-Up

The Philippines' Samantha Bernardo fell short on bringing home the 2020 Miss Grand International crown, which went to Miss USA Evelyn Abena Appiah.

During the coronation night held in Bangkok, Thailand tonight, Samantha was crowned First Runner-Up despite an outstanding performance and a unique answer at the final Question & Answer portion.

Sam was followed by the representative from Guatemala as 2nd runner-up, followed by Indonesia and Brazil, respectively.

After the 4th and 3rd runner-up were announced, it took another question for Miss Philippines, Miss Guatemala and Miss USA to determine who will win the crown.

“If there is only one dose of COVID-19 vaccine left and you have to choose who to give it to, either between a 15-year-old or a senior citizen of 70 years old, who would you choose to give it to and why?” the host asked.

Sam was the only candidate who will give the final vaccine to a senior citizen, contrary to Miss USA and Miss Guatemala, who both chose the 15-year-old.

“My heart goes to senior citizen because my mom is turning senior citizen and I experienced the loss of my dad four years ago and I cannot afford to lose my mom. My heart goes to them because they are the most vulnerable during this time. A 15-year old has the stamina to fight the COVID 19 pandemic and with proper exercise and healthy living, they can live with it. I know as well that every citizen here will choose and never afford to lose their parents so I will choose senior citizens,” Sam said.

Meanwhile, Miss USA said, “I would choose to give it to the 16 year old, only because I believe that children are the future. They are going to make the world a better place. They are the ones that are going to set examples for the future generation. And I believe that I will give it to the 16-year-old, because I want the 16-year-old to have a better future and I believe that they are going to change the world, we need change for our world.”

In the main question and answer portion, the candidates were asked to choose whether or not to close the country’s economy for the safety of the people.

“I will always choose the people, because without these people, our country will never be a country, we will never be a Philippines without Filipinos, you will never be Thailand without Thai, so it is a must that we should take care of our people first, I said here for love and peace and beauty, because there will always be the solution no matter what our problems in this life. And I think if we come together as people, as one united grow, then we can have a better place to live and I hope after this pandemic COVID-19 happen, we can be a better citizens,” Samantha said.

In the middle of the pageant wherein the candidates talked about the COVID-19 pandemic, Samantha said she will be a channel of hope, compassion and unity if fortunate enough to win the crown.

“The year 2020 will be remembered as the most challenging period in our history. COVID-19 pandemic has brought despair, destruction and death. Today, our world war has changed. From all important things to war on hunger, for better health care system, racism and education. It's an every day battle that confronts all of us, regardless of who we are and where we are from,” Samantha said.

“As malaria-free Philippine spokesperson, I have always lived up to my faith in humanity, cultural understanding and respect for others. These are what I will continue to stand for if I become your next Miss Grand International. I will be a channel of hope, compassion, and unity to stand and horn and stop any horrible war and violence in this world. As we face the COVID-free world, join me as we work together in mending our conflicts and focusing on what truly matters. We are living under one sky. So let us all these peacefully where love is our language, humanity in our race and peace is our lasting legacy to the world."

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post