|Injured boy (AFP FILE PHOTO)|
ROXAS City – The provincial health office has recorded 48 firecracker related injuries in the province of Capiz based on its December 21 to January 1, 2017 monitoring .
It is a 9 percent decrease compared to the number of firecracker victims on the same period last year.
26 of these cases were caused by piccolo .
The cases were 79-percent higher than the 14 cases recorded in the same period in 2015, when piccolo was also a top cause of injuries.
This year, two of the cases were caused by boga and another two by kwitis. Five-star, triangle/libentador, and “Trump” caused one injury each.
Most of the victims were 20 years old or younger; 11 victims belonged to the 1-10 and 11-20 age brackets.
Fifty-seven firecracker injuries were recorded from Dec. 21, 2015 to Jan. 5, 2016 — 84-percent higher than the 31 cases recorded the year before.
Ayr Altavas, nurse and health education promotion officer at the PHO, called on Capisnons to support the campaign against the use of firecrackers.
There are many ways to prevent blast injuries, like watching a fireworks display, he said.
The PHO also advised parents to prohibit children from using firecrackers.
Do not pick up and/or gather firecrackers that have not exploded for they still might explode, Altavas said. (With Klair Joy Emperado, Capiz Aksyon News Center/PN)